The Fenimeldiyaan: Displaced Time - Chapter 10


“River, can ye hear me?  Tis Andreas”.  The telepathic transmission jolted River out of her melancholy musings.  “Sorry I had to rush off, but the Chronomages ain’t exactly the most sympathetic of people.  I couldn’t leave Morgan alone with them.  I hope ye understand and don’t think too badly of me”.

As on many previous occasions, the Spy Master seemed to have picked up on her concerns.  “I’m not sure what to think anymore.  Everything’s all messed up and we’re trapped here”.  She knew that she sounded ungrateful but she no longer cared.

“Ah, River, me dear”.  Andreas sounded genuinely regretful.  “Ye should know I’ll never abandon ye.  Tis why I be talking to ye now.  Did Apollo manage to get that collar off ye yet?”

“I took it off myself” she replied.  “After Morgan killed the Doctor, it stopped working.  But it makes no difference.  We still can’t get out, not even with our full powers restored”.

“Aye, I know” he admitted.  “Ye won’t be able to until the Chronomages lift the time-lock from the warehouse facility.  And they be taking their time about that.  Tis a joke but not an especially amusing one.  I be doing me best to speed things along and I’ve discovered an unexpected source of help.  It might take a few more days but we’ll get ye all out.  I’ll contact ye again soon.  Wind turns green and the Goddess smiles.  Everything will be the right size again, River.  Ye can depend on it”.

----------------------------------

Anwyn acknowledged Andreas’s message and broke from her trance.  She had left Elsa and Gerald alone in the tent and gone off to meditate.  The sand trailed over her skin in an attempt to comfort her.  She could not help thinking about Selonicus and the grandmother she had never met.

A shadow fell over her and she looked up at a young pregnant Sartorian woman.  Although she did not recognise the woman, there was no doubt as to the identity of the child she carried.  Her mother’s energy signature came through strong, emanating from the young woman’s womb.

“Sand and tree recognise ye” Gharia stated.  “Though ye be unknown to us.  How can this be?”

Anwyn got on her knees in front of her grandmother.  “Apologies for intruding on Ohrivaal territory.  I be Zysareh Mehdezwar and I came here looking for a couple of travellers who had been sheltering with us.  They wandered off and I were sent by our Patriarch to track them down and bring them back to Mehdezwar lands”.

“Blessings of the desert be upon ye, Zysareh Mehdezwar” Gharia intoned.  “Ye speak of the man named Gerald Hunt?  Sand and tree recognise him too.  He has been on Ohrivaal territory afore.  Tis strange to fathom”.

“Aye, I don’t understand it meself” Anwyn admitted.  “The desert recognised the Hunts at our encampment too.  Tis why our Patriarch allowed them to stay with us.  Anyways, Gerald got separated from his wife during their wanderings.  I found her first and reunited them.  I figured they deserved a little time alone afore I take them back”.

Gharia smiled and stroked her belly.  “The wife be with child too.  I felt it the moment ye arrived.  All three of ye be welcome to stay as long as ye like.  I be Gharia Ohrivaal, daughter of our Patriarch”.

“Honoured to meet ye, Gharia Ohrivaal”.  Anwyn stood and gave the traditional Sartorian greeting slapping palms with Gharia and then grabbing her elbows.  Gharia returned the gesture.

Anwyn waited until Gharia had gone, then returned to the tent where Gerald and Elsa lay.  “We’d best get going.  Ye can finish catching up back at the Don”.

With great reluctance, Elsa and Gerald broke from their hug and emerged from the tent.  They held hands with Anwyn and soon the desert melted away, replaced by the stark whiteness of the infirmary at the Donovan Institute.

Elaine greeted them joyfully, relieved to see them again.

Remyn insisted on examining them both, pronouncing them fit after a long and thorough scan.

“Thanks for the rescue, Anwyn” Gerald said, holding Elsa in his arms on the infirmary bed.  “What will ye do about Veerna Vold?  Though I don’t care much for the woman, ye can’t leave her there on Mondias.  She deserves to go back home same as we do”.

“Who’s Veerna Vold?” Elsa demanded.

Gerald sighed.  “A fellow prisoner from the camp on Mondias.  School, they called it, but their ideas of education be barbaric to say the least.  Tis nothing more than slavery and torture.  Anyways, this Veerna seems intent on causing trouble and making things worse for herself.  Last I knew, she were going out on sabotage missions with a bunch of revolutionaries, blowing up Cyad military bases”.

“Tis where ye met Selonicus, right?” Anwyn questioned.  “Twas hard enough for me lying to Gharia and now I be faced with having to do the same to Sel.  I know we have to get Veerna back to her homeworld, but I ain’t sure if I can deal with seeing Sel again”.  She dabbed at her eyes.  “So many memories.  He were so desperate to prove himself worthy of Pa’s trust that he took insane risks and one of those risks got him killed.  I need to be alone for a while.  I’ve got some serious thinking to do”.

------------------------------------

After Andreas’s presence had departed from River’s mind, the little girl burst into tears. She was unable to take back the things she’d said to him, but she regretted them terribly. Now that he’d gone, she knew how much she’d missed him. All she wanted was for him to come back.

After several minutes of crying, she became aware of the fact that someone was sitting beside her. Rubbing the tears from her cheeks, she saw Apollo leaning against the wall beside her, staring off at nothing. The others were laying on the floor, apparently sleeping. “Can I help you?” River transmitted to him, a tiny bit anxiously.

Apollo smiled slightly at her, though his own eyes were red. “I think a better question is if you need any help, Queen River,” he told her quietly. “Are you alright?”

Since mentally transmitting to him would take far too much effort, River produced her book and started writing in it. It took her a few minutes to explain everything, from Yozev’s offer to fix her voice and his words about the Inner Circle, to Andreas conversing with her only a few minutes before. Apollo read silently, his eyes scanning back and forth while River watched him with a vague sense of desperation.

Finally, he gave her a smile and slipped his arm over her shoulder. “You don’t have to feel bad,” he said quietly. “Andreas knows that everybody has doubts about everything. After the kind of week you’ve had — from the thing with Set to everything that’s been going on with Yozev — who could blame you for having doubts? But that doesn’t mean that you should let them control you, River. Andreas loves you like his own daughter. You can rely on him. He would never do anything that would hurt you. If I know him, he’ll have Morgan back safely by next week. In the meantime, looks like we’ll be spending some quality time together, doesn’t it?”

River looked up at him. “I’m sorry that happened,” she projected to him.

Apollo stared down at his lap. “I am too,” he said quietly. “I only hope they have mercy on him. They don’t know Morgan the way I do. If I hadn’t been beside Yozev, I don’t think he would’ve reacted like that. He is a good person, I know that better than anyone. It’s just … he has more to fight against than a lot of people. He does his best. If he were to be punished for that …” He let his voice trail off.

River leaned against him, rubbing his arm. “They’ll let him go,” she transmitted. “They have to. I know they will. Andreas will convince them.”

Apollo smiled down at her. “I hope you’re right.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elaine watched Anwyn go off before any of them could say anything to her. Gerald could understand her pain — he’d experienced the same thing when he’d met his son, Fitz, and his daughter, Leanora. Hopefully they would be alright …

Elaine tugged on his sleeve. “Gerald,” she said. “Elsa. Did Anwyn say anything about Daren and the others?”

Elsa and Gerald both grimaced. They’d been briefly filled in by Anwyn before their arrival. “Daren be trapped in a time-lock with Apollo and River, along with two others,” Gerald said. “Apparently, Morgan lost control and changed time a tiny bit.”

“A tiny bit?” Elaine’s eyebrow shot up in a disbelieving way. “What did he do?”

“He … killed the man who had been holding Apollo prisoner,” Elsa admitted.

Elaine bit her lip. “So Daren is trapped?”

“Until they decide what to do with Morgan,” Elsa explained.

Elaine raised her eyes to Gerald, sensing that he would tell her the truth more than Elsa would. “What will happen if they decide to do something bad to Morgan?” she asked. “Why are they keeping Daren and the others trapped in the time-lock?”

Gerald grimaced. “I dunno, Elaine. Honest. I wish I could help ye.”

Elaine forced a smile. “You two go and enjoy yourselves,” she said. “Go on.”

Gerald pulled Elsa off, and Elaine leaned against the wall, staring at nothing. “Daren,” she whispered. “Stay safe.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veerna stood in her room at the rebel base, examining the satchel she would be taking with her. It had everything she needed in it. She stared down at the communicator in her hand. A voice from the door surprised her. “Veerna?”

The Voldinian turned, the communicator in her hand, looking at Celeste without a word. His wide eyes settled on the object in her hand. “What be that?” Celeste asked before he could stop himself.

Veerna tossed it to him carelessly. “I don’t need it anymore. I’m leaving, Les.”

“Leaving?” Celeste’s jaw dropped. “And going where? What be this?”

“A Cyad communicator,” she said. “I was a traitor, Les. But don’t worry, I didn’t give them too much. Just enough for them to keep offering me my chance at freedom. I’m done now. Neither of you can get me what I want, so I’m going to get it myself. Tell the others whatever you want. I’m outta here.”

She tossed the satchel over her shoulder and strode past Celeste. On an impulse, she turned and kissed him. “Goodbye, Les,” she said with a wink, before walking down the corridor.

--------------------------------

Vedat stopped the truck outside the old abandoned warehouse.  He gave a grim nod to Haluq and Fhadre Ozgur.  “This be the place.  Let’s see if we can catch the Doctor unawares, eh?  He ain’t the only one who can put people to sleep”.

The priest grinned and stroked Vedat’s arm.  “A man like that should never be allowed to cause such widespread misery.  I’ll be happy to put him out of commission.  I’d prefer to do it permanently of course, but I suppose we have to work within the law.  Me Order could do without Cyad Law Enforcers sniffing around and asking awkward questions”.

“No guards, me Lord” Haluq observed, gesturing towards the main entrance.  “This Doctor must be very confident or very foolish”.

“A bit of both, I’d imagine” Fhadre Ozgur remarked.  “Tis often the way with such men.  They ain’t as powerful as they’d like to believe”.

The three men got out of the truck and walked slowly towards the huge double doors at the front of the warehouse.  The priest went in front, scanning for sorcery wards.

He frowned.  “There be wards here, but not of the usual kind.  They be in a state of constant flux.  Fifty layers of fluid-time equations.  Twould indicate Chronomancy at work”.

A swathe of grey mist loomed in front of them, resolving itself into a vague human shape.  Within the mist, symbols flashed and equations scrolled, constantly changing.  “Correct”.  A flat emotionless voice emanated from the supposed head of the figure.  “This facility be under control of the Sacred Circle of Chronomages.  Tis none of your concern, gentlemen, so I suggest you leave”.

The three Varagans bowed their heads.  Fhadre Ozgur addressed the shadowy figure.  “I beg to differ, Honoured Chronomage.  The owner of this facility, one Doctor Yozev Kandlin, has stolen some property belonging to Lord Vedat Degurmin here, namely two slaves recently purchased at auction.  Their names be …”

“Apollo Lightbringer and Lady Rachel Andric” the Chronomage finished.  “Aye, we be aware of the activities of Doctor Kandlin.  Unfortunately, Lord Degurmin won’t be able to reclaim his property.  Everyone inside has been killed, including the Doctor himself.  We be in the process of investigating but it seems likely that a piece of the Doctor’s equipment malfunctioned, sending out deadly emissions”.

“Inriamorum” Fhadre Ozgur intoned, bowing his head again.  Vedat and Haluq followed suit.

The Chronomage spoke again.  “Lord Degurmin, you may apply to the High Council of Elders if you wish to claim financial compensation for your loss.  There be nothing else we can do for you”.

“Tisn’t about the money”.  Vedat spoke in a rasping whisper, the words catching in his throat.  “They were good people and valued members of me household.  They deserved better than what Doctor Kandlin had in mind for them”.  He inclined his head to the Chronomage.  “We’ll be on our way.  Fhadre Ozgur will arrange a memorial service for all the poor souls who perished here”.

The three Varagans returned to where they had parked the truck and drove away.

----------------------------

Celeste burned with shame, watching Veerna walking away.  He had no choice but to let her go, for she was not a prisoner.  His suspicions about her had been proved correct, but he took no pleasure in that.  Instead he felt like the biggest fool, having been played with finesse by the exotic pale-skinned alien woman.  Sighing, he turned away from the gate and marched back into the main part of the compound.  Dwelling on his mistakes would serve no-one, least of all himself.

“She’s gone, hasn’t she?”  Selonicus’s words did not sound like an accusation but Celeste felt guilty all the same.

“Aye, Sel”.  He handed Selonicus the Cyad communication device.  “Turns out she’s been in contact with the Cyad right from the get-go.  We’ve been set up.  She said she were going it alone, but I’ve no reason to believe her”.

Selonicus gave a weary smile and patted Celeste on the shoulder.  “You mustn’t blame yourself, Les.  She played us all.  Me and Maas most of all.  We were the ones who rescued her.  She had supposedly been wired up to one of those engines of torture for many hours before Maas managed to get to the Punishment Block and work his magic.  Yet she showed absolutely no signs of genuine trauma.  Consummate acting skills and a few bruises, nothing more”.

“So we’ll be shutting up shop here then?” Celeste asked, already knowing the answer.

“Aye” Selonicus affirmed.  “We’ve no way of knowing how much Veerna has told the Cyad.  Abandoning the base will mean great upheaval and will severely disrupt our plans, but tis by far the safest option.  You know what to do, Les.  Get your team to one of the emergency rendezvous points and wait for my signal”.

Celeste nodded and hurried away.

------------------------------

Alone in the darkness of one of the small prayer chambers within the inner sanctum of the Donovan Institute, Anwyn wept.  Memories of Selonicus overwhelmed her, going way back to her early childhood when he had begun teaching her crystal theory.  Then came her teenage years.  She had developed a crush on him so intense that it felt like knives stabbing her heart at the mere thought of his sparkling eyes and the mismatched clothing which her friends had loved to criticise.  She recalled their two happy years of marriage, culminating in the birth of her son, Loro, on the very night when Selonicus had been killed by the Elders at the Elzhin enclave, the place where he had spent his childhood and adolescence.

She wiped away her tears and reached out for Andreas, needing the comfort.  He responded immediately.  “Anni, me love, I can feel yer pain.  What be troubling ye so?”

She related her encounter with Gharia in the desert, followed by the dilemma regarding the rescue of Veerna Vold.  “I don’t think I could face meeting a version of Sel who won’t know me.  I realise that we can’t leave Veerna on Mondias.  She has to be returned to Voldinia.  I should go but I wish I didn’t have to”.

“Ye won’t have to” Andreas assured her.  “I promise ye that.  When I be done with the Chronomages, meself and Jude will go.  From what I know of this Veerna Vold, she be a most determined and resourceful young woman.  A survivor.  She can manage on Mondias for a few more days”.

“Ye be the best, Al”.  She used her pet name for him, taken from his middle name of Alano.  “Thank ye so much”.

He projected a grin.  “All part of the service, me Lady.  Anything else I can do for ye?”

Thoughts of Elaine flashed into her mind.  “Daren” she mentioned.  “Elaine be worried about him.  Could ye help me with the communication pathways?  I doubt I’d be able to get around the Chronomage wards like ye can”.

“Consider it done, me love”.  He projected the necessary equations into her mind.

---------------------------------

Elaine sat in one of the huge libraries, pretending to read a book of ancient Vordellan legends which one of the librarians had picked out for her.  She looked up, seeing Anwyn standing nearby, tears glistening on her face.  “Anwyn, I thought you needed to be alone.  Has something happened?”

Anwyn dragged a chair over and sat next to Elaine.  “Andreas happened”.  She gave a slight smile.  “Would ye like to speak to Daren?”

Elaine put the book down.  “I’d love to!  I miss him so much!  I suppose it means another mind merge though?”

“Tis the only way” Anwyn confirmed.  “Andreas has given me the pathways but I need yer connection with Daren to help me enforce them”.

Elaine nodded her consent and the two women merged minds.  She could see Daren sitting alone, lost in his own thoughts.  The Andric siblings huddled together, occasionally murmuring to one another.  Apollo and River seemed to be having a telepathic conversation.

Using Anwyn’s powers, she called out to her husband.  “Daren!  It’s me, Elaine!  Can you hear me?”

--------------------------------

One of the misty robed figures materialised in the temporal prison, startling Morgan.

“I suppose you’ve come to take me away to be executed” he commented in a gloomy tone.

“Sorry to disappoint you” the figure spoke.  “No, in fact I’ve been negotiating on your behalf.  I made a recommendation to the Elders and they have retired for private deliberations”.  He gave a soft chuckle.  “That means they’ve gone off for something to eat and a bit of a nap.  They’ll probably spend another day or so around the conference table but they’ll agree to my proposal in the end”.

“What proposal?”  Morgan stared at the shadowy figure.  “Will my powers be removed or will I have to wear a restraining collar for the rest of my life?”

“Nothing like that, I assure you”.  The figure laid a misty hand on Morgan’s shoulder.  “You’ll have to stay at the Donovan Institute for appearance’s sake but there will be no punishment.  You’ll retain full use of your powers and after a week or so, I’ll pronounce you fit to return to your homeland.  In future, tis best if you try not to attract any further attention from the Chronomages.  They might not be so receptive to my efforts if you end up in their custody another time”.

“What about the others?” Morgan asked.  “What will happen to them?”

“Once the time-lines on Yttria have been restored to their rightful course, Daren Lightshield, Apollo Lightbringer, Queen River Meer and the Andrics will be returned to their rightful places and times.  Everything will be as it should be.  The right size as Andreas be fond of saying”.

“Andreas”.  Morgan gulped.  “Will he still be my friend?  Can he forgive me for losing control like that?”

“He spoke most eloquently in your defence at the first meeting of the Elders” the figure stated.  “That should tell you all you need to know.  The Inner Circle does not abandon those under its protection.  I realise the waiting chafes at you, but please be patient a while longer”.

The mist dissolved, leaving Morgan alone again.

--------------------------------

Daren sat bolt upright, startling the Andrics out of their conversation. Both stared at him blankly for a moment as he tried to remain calm. “Elaine!” he said. “I can hear you!”

Elaine couldn’t help but giggle. “Just think the thoughts, Daren. You don’t have to say them.”

Although it felt undeniably uncomfortable, Daren nodded before sending his thoughts to her. “Are you alright? Is Elsa alright? I’ve been worried.”

“We’re both fine, and we got Gerald back,” Elaine assured him. “So don’t worry about that. I’ve been worried about you. The time-lock … the thing with Morgan … what happened, Daren?”

Daren pursed his lips uncomfortably. “I’m not sure,” he admitted. “It happened too quickly. I think it might’ve had something to do with Apollo and River. The three of them are connected, and Morgan’s been separated from them for a few days. It has something to do with that. And …” He hesitated.

He should have known better than to think he could hide anything from his wife. Her telepathic voice was suspicious. “And what?”

“And I think when Set and Jezebel died, Morgan absorbed their dark wizard abilities as well,” Daren said, sending the message all in a rush in the hopes that she wouldn’t understand. “Cora told me that they all shared power. The less there are, the more powerful the ones remaining will be. That just leaves Morgan … and you know. Dante.”

“Do you think he’ll have more relapses?” Elaine sounded tense.

“Once I let Apollo know, probably not,” Daren assured her. “As long as we keep him away from Dante, he should be safe enough.” As long as the Chronomages released them all, which he thought but didn’t say.

“Daren …” Elaine was hesitating. “Daren, you’ve got to make sure they release you. You have to.”

“Of course I do,” Daren replied, confused. “And … I mean … I’m sure they will. Why? What’s the matter? Are you alright?” he added with a note of anxiety.

Elaine sent the telepathic equivalent of a laugh, though it sounded strained and vaguely hysterical. “Daren, I’m with child again.”

It took Daren several seconds to process that. “E-Elaine! You mean …?”

“Joseph is going to have a sibling.” Then he really did feel her crying, and he didn’t know why.

Daren couldn’t help it; he laughed, out loud, and Ewan looked at him with a weird expression. Apollo was smiling slightly. “Everything’s going to be alright, Elaine, trust me. I’ll get back to you, I promise. Even if they tried to stop me, nothing could keep me from your side. Understand?”

Elaine was still crying. It was likely she would keep going for a long time. “Daren, I-I’m …”

“Listen,” Daren said. “I love you, Elaine. Nothing’s ever going to change that. And I’ll be back soon. Tell Gerald and Elsa I’ll see them soon, alright? I love you.” He wondered if she would respond, but it was like she’d left his head. He leaned back, leaning his head against the wall, but with a foolish smile on his face. Elaine was with child again. He would have a second child. If the future was to be believed, a girl. Nothing else seemed to matter in that moment. “I love you,” he whispered, the sound lost, but its meaning clear.

Across from him, Ewan had his arm around Rachel. “I’m glad you’re okay, sis,” he whispered to her.

She managed a small, trembling smile at him. “You know this can’t stay like this, right? You’ve got to … go back.”

Ewan grimaced. “Don’t mention that. Just enjoy the time we have here.”

“But …”

“Hey, they froze time,” Ewan said, brushing her hair away from her face. “We’ve just got to take advantage of what we’ve been given. And did you really think I’d let you stay a slave for long? I couldn’t stay in Final Death, not when I knew what had happened. Merlin told me, I had to come for you.”

Tears spilled down Rachel’s cheeks. “Why are you making me say goodbye again?” she asked hoarsely.

“It’s not permanent —”

“It tears The Story apart, bit by bit, every time Merlin goes into Final Death, and you know it,” she accused him. “We can’t keep risking it!”

Ewan kissed her forehead. “Then let’s just enjoy the time we have,” he said. “Okay?”

Rachel nodded, still crying. She leaned her head against his shoulder and did her best to stifle her tears. “I’ve missed you, Ewan,” she said in a whisper.

Ewan nodded, turning his head slightly so she wouldn’t see the tears on his own cheeks. “I missed you too, Rach.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsa and Gerald sat on a bench together at the Don, Elsa leaning her head on Gerald’s shoulder. He smiled down at her, particularly when he saw she was fast asleep. “I can imagine what ye went through,” he whispered, kissing the top of her head tenderly. He had experienced his own worries when Elsa had been kidnapped by Ursula for her unborn child. Relief was the only word to express his feelings at them both being together again.

Gently, he adjusted his arm over her, and she slid further against him, obviously exhausted. “Ah, me dear,” he murmured. “This is what we should be doing. Enjoying each other’s company, peacefully. This be the life.”

He leaned back and stared at the sky.

Comments

Favoured by the Gods

Agrimage

Character Profile: Yozev Kurak

Prison