Inspiration


Where does inspiration come from?  That is probably one of the questions which writers of fiction are most frequently asked.

There is no simple answer.  Creativity and the inspiration behind it aren’t easily quantifiable.  It varies from writer to writer.  All I can do is attempt to explain where mine comes from.

Writers are often advised to write what they know, especially when they’re new to the craft and trying to develop a style and find out what genre(s) they want to write in.   So yes, some of my inspiration comes from my upbringing, education, various jobs that I’ve had, my own personal tastes in entertainment media and some situations that I’ve had to deal with.

I also get inspiration from other people.  That doesn’t necessarily mean inserting family members, friends or work colleagues into my novels as characters.  I have never done that, since I don’t believe it’s fair on them, even if they have given permission.

Examples of inspiration from other people include historical and current events, other works of fiction, or even a conversation I’ve had with someone which sparked off ideas for plots or characters.

Dreams can also be a source of inspiration, although given the muddled nature of them, the ideas need refining before they can be used effectively in novels.

Then comes the most mystifying part of my answer.  Sometimes I don’t have a clue where my inspiration comes from.  An idea will pop into my head and I can’t work out what prompted it.

A final word about inspiration.  It doesn’t mean copying someone else’s ideas or style.  It can mean taking an idea from somewhere else and adapting it.  It can be elusive and annoying at times but we writers can’t get along without it.

Comments

Favoured by the Gods

Character Profile: Yozev Kurak

Agrimage

Prison